I write to you from my daughter’s bedroom, where my eyeballs can personally see and count approximately 1,000 pieces of clothing.

auds-closetThree of these items fit.

At first I was suspicious of this suddenly useless wardrobe, because “this doesn’t fit” used to be code for “Mom, I hate this article of clothing and this is my polite way of informing you that I shan’t wear it again.”

I made the child prove it. She wasn’t kidding; she’s really grown out of all of it. The bathing suit, the sparkly skirt, the plaid Bermuda shorts– things I swear we just bought a few months ago.

So. Off to the store we went. Her little brother was on the floor ready to remove an eyeball with his bare fingers by the time we left the fourth store, with nothing. No. Thing. We did not purchase the thing or the things.

We had to go back and try again another day, this time without the little brother. The days of simple shopping are done, and here’s why:

1. Nothing on her 11 yr. old body is a standard size anymore. She has grown up arms and feet, the elbows of a 52-year-old man (just kidding, sweetie. Your elbows are perfect), the shoulders of a little girl, and the legs of a kid who’s been swimming all summer long. She’s taller than her grandma but shorter than I am; she’s too big to be a little girl and too small to be a full teenager. No clothing fits all the parts.
  2. She has very particular fashion preferences.
  3. None of her fashion preferences match mine. She stares at me in the dressing room with a dead look in her eye, clearly wondering “Where are my aunts when I need them?”
  4. In general, clothing manufacturers have confused our daughters for hookers and many items of clothing are specifically designed for dual wear– the street corner by night and the classroom by day. I am not amused.

Obviously it’s time to convince the girls to buy muumuus. Who wouldn’t love a muumuu? Take a minute and Google them if you aren’t familiar. I’ll wait.

Loose, baggy, easy. Long arms? No problem. Thick waist? Can’t even see it. Long legs? We’ll just add more fabric to the bottom there. Full-chested? The gathers are forgiving.

Parents, this is only going to work if we band together. We need to buy them all at once, force the children into the muumuus and then pray to the heavens that they see the wisdom of our ways. Who’s with me?

And if you’re not with me, where do you buy your daughters’ clothing?

tween-shopping

9 Comments on Where Do I Buy MuuMuus for Tweens? I Need One In Every Color.

1. Susie Finkbeiner
    August 5, 2014 at 4:58 pm (3 years ago)

My daughter is 7. This blog post is my future. I FEAR IT!

August 5, 2014 at 5:08 pm (3 years ago)

As you should, Susie. Muumuus, sister. They are the answer for us all!

August 5, 2014 at 5:54 pm (3 years ago)

And that Jessie, is where the UK policy of school uniform comes in really handy.

4. luanne
    August 5, 2014 at 6:35 pm (3 years ago)

You are not looking at the selling of the muumuu in the right light, my dear friend. They are not “muumuus” any more. They are called maxi dresses. Yes, same thing, new name. That being said, I totally sympathize with your position as I will be in your shoes sooner than I like. Jenna (at 4 years old) changes her outfit at least three times a day…often because the shirt she put on a mere hour ago simply “isn’t good” any more. And she too has a distinct style that is even now differing from mine. *Sigh* This takes me back to my own childhood and I think karma has caught up with me (or will soon) because I too hated everything my mother picked out for me! Good luck with the shopping. May the tween clothing fares shine on you soonest!!

August 5, 2014 at 7:27 pm (3 years ago)

We need that rule PRONTO. A few friends have kids in schools with uniforms and they love them to pieces.

August 5, 2014 at 8:24 pm (3 years ago)

I don’t want to add to your panic, but that’s exactly how Audrey was at Jenna’s age. No joke, I stopped fighting her clothing choices at 18 months old because I didn’t have the emotional strength. MAY THE LORD BE WITH US BOTH. May the Lord take these children to the mall!

August 6, 2014 at 8:45 am (3 years ago)

First off, I did google Muumuu. Also, I would be so confused if I had a daughter. With boys, I am only slightly confused. I agree with you in that I see some kids wearing clothing and I am wondering what their parents are thinking. Maybe, it’s all that’s out there. Uggh.

August 6, 2014 at 9:06 am (3 years ago)

I’m glad someone took the time to look it up. Here’s the kicker–they’d be so dang comfortable! Why aren’t we all wearing muumuus?

August 6, 2014 at 5:58 pm (3 years ago)

One of life’s great unanswered questions.