I feel like I went way overboard with the opinions and lecturing in my last blog post, which is why this blog post is going to center on one thing– why my house smells quite awful. I went back and read the post from Tuesday and I almost deleted it– but no. I stand by what I said. It’s just that I had my preacher pants firmly affixed as I stood on my soapbox and shouted my opinions, and I don’t like doing that very often. I just had to get it off my chest, but now let’s move on to something far less subjective like what I’m cooking for dinner and why it’s stinking up my house.

The smell is a cross between burning ham and watered down cabbage, which is interesting because I am not actually cooking cabbage. We had a ham at small group dinner the other night and my friend Susannah suggested using the bone to make a bean soup. I have a bag of black-eyed peas that have been in my cupboard for a few years so I thought this might be a nice opportunity to pretend the Depression still rages and bean soup is delicious.

Side note: I grew up in a home where both my parents loved bean soup, and loved split-pea soup even more. I also grew up in a home where I was forced to eat bean soup and split-pea soup because my parents claimed to love me and said these meals were good for me.

So maybe I’m being haunted by 1983 as I write this from my stinky kitchen, but I really have some doubts about this meal. I tasted it a few minutes ago, and the flavor of the beans good. The texture is pretty awful, though.

I tried to run this photo through a bunch of filters to make it look more appetizing, but it didn't work. I grow even more suspicious of our meal.
I tried to run this photo through a bunch of filters to make it look more appetizing, but it didn’t work. I grow even more suspicious of our meal.

The question is this: as a mother, how do I pass this meal off on my kids? I could smile brightly and force myself to eat it, pretending pizza couldn’t be as delicious as this mushy, stinky meal. Or I could go with the bald truth, which is that I would rather eat almost anything than this. Pancakes and eggs, a piece of toast, a sandwich.

Thoughts? What would you do?

10 Comments on Why My House Smells Suspicious

April 16, 2015 at 5:53 pm (2 years ago)

Growing up in the 60s my mother made the Sunday roast last most of the week. What we couldn’t/wouldn’t eat/swallow ended up being boiled and turned into soup. While we had plenty of cabbage, black-eyed peas/beans never made it to our side of the Atlantic.

What would I do? I think I’d opt for the pancake option and send the soup to the friend who suggested it in the first place.

April 16, 2015 at 6:01 pm (2 years ago)

It turned out okay, surprisingly enough. It was too salty and could have used some potatoes and celery, but that’s my fault because I’m sure if I had looked for a recipe it would have suggested these exact things. 🙂 We won’t be repeating it exactly unless the financial bottom falls out, but at least no one cried at the table!

3. Gabrielle
    April 16, 2015 at 11:00 pm (2 years ago)

I would have tasted it. If it was tolerable, I would have eaten it. If not, cereal and milk would have been A-okay in my book.

4. Anonymous
    April 17, 2015 at 6:12 am (2 years ago)

Joint lasted 3days cold on Monday and shepherds pie on Tuesday. Only made soup if we had a chicken ! Mum Welford !

April 17, 2015 at 2:00 pm (2 years ago)

Dear Mrs. Welford, I believe you completely. I don’t believe anything your son says about your food preparations. Mothers must stick together, you know!

April 17, 2015 at 2:01 pm (2 years ago)

It was tolerable! Even Caleb didn’t hate it. 🙂

7. tammy @ faithhopelovefood.com
    April 17, 2015 at 8:27 pm (2 years ago)

Actually….both my kids love split pea soup and my husband detests it. The rule in our house is that you try it and if you don’t like it, then you make yourself a PBJ. Just curious….did you end up eating it for dinner or going with Plan B?

8. Debi Neddo Franklin
    April 17, 2015 at 11:51 pm (2 years ago)

Jess, did your mom not tell you that the reason she served beans so often was to get them out of the kitchen so they didn’t go to waste? Beans that are over a year old can have a crappy texture, and are not delicious like they could be. So, to answer your question of how to pass these off on the kids convincingly, is, … Yeah, you can’t. Hope you had a frozen pizza available, which by the way will only last about 3 months in the freezer! Lol. Love ya, gal!

April 18, 2015 at 11:11 am (2 years ago)

I’m not sure my mother knew that particular detail, Deb! I’ll ask her.

April 18, 2015 at 11:12 am (2 years ago)

We did end up eating it, although it was buffered with muffins and cheesy bread so no one starved. It was actually pretty tasty, and the texture wasn’t too bad. 🙂