You should see my basement right now. It looks like a deranged person has neatly placed random things all around the edges of the room. Laundry baskets, the sewing machine, buildings from the kids’ old train set– it’s all tucked up right next to the baseboards.

We’re trying to keep the cat from spraying on the walls. He got all sorts of mad at us for something a few weeks ago, and I found him peeing and spraying all over the edges of the room. Ever since we started blocking his favorite areas with stuff, he’s knocked it off.

(I know some of you cat lovers are worried about Captain Kitty’s urinary health. Let me assure you there’s nothing wrong with him physically; he just has scrambled eggs for brains.)

I took to yelling in my kids’ general direction, “Your cat is peeing on my carpet!” It was all very upsetting.

But our small group is doing a financial study from Crown Financial Ministries, and our first lesson was on God’s ownership of all things. All things. Even the cat. Even the carpet.

Deuteronomy 10:14
So now I wander around the house saying calmly, “The Lord’s cat is peeing on the Lord’s carpet.” It’s helping. If nothing else, it makes me laugh.

Now you try it. If the Lord owns all things,

• The Lord’s minivan smells like the Lord’s children’s smelly feet.
  • The Lord’s checking account needs a fresh influx of the Lord’s money.
  • The Lord’s children just spilled Coke down the Lord’s couch.

And so on. Any time you feel stressed about money or things, just apply our little formula here. Does anyone have an example handy? I’d love to hear them.

11 Comments on The Lord’s cat is peeing on the Lord’s carpet

1. Susie Finkbeiner
    January 25, 2016 at 1:33 pm (1 year ago)

The Lord’s cat has a strange obsession with the Lord’s walls (see my comment on the cat picture last night).

Great post, by the way.

2. Marguerite
    January 25, 2016 at 2:25 pm (1 year ago)

I’m too busy doing the Lord’s laundry to think about this.

January 25, 2016 at 2:33 pm (1 year ago)

HahahaHA! Perfect.

January 25, 2016 at 2:34 pm (1 year ago)

The Lord’s cat is very strange, yes. 🙂 And thanks!

5. Luanne
    January 25, 2016 at 9:59 pm (1 year ago)

The Lord’s two new puppies are constantly eating (yes, eating…think down the gullet and into the digestive track) the Lord’s children’s socks! 🙂 It does make one laugh!!

January 26, 2016 at 3:15 pm (1 year ago)

Oh no! Are the Lord’s puppies requiring surgery from the Lord’s vets?

7. Anonymous
    January 26, 2016 at 8:57 pm (1 year ago)

No. Thankfully we haven’t yet had to make an appointment with the Lord’s vet. They “regurgitate” the socks before they become a problem! Hopefully we will have broken them of this strange desire to ingest the Lord’s socks before it does become an issue!

8. Anonymous
    January 26, 2016 at 8:59 pm (1 year ago)

No. No visits to the Lord’s vet just yet. Hopefully they grow out of this strange desire to commune with the Lord through his socks before it does become a problem!

January 28, 2016 at 7:37 am (1 year ago)

I see how saying that could make you laugh. It sounds funny.
    Serenity now.

10. cherifields
    January 30, 2016 at 2:08 pm (1 year ago)

It won’t make you chuckle like your examples, but I do occasionally remind God it’s his body, if he wants me to do his work, he’ll have to keep me alive (in traffic, in emergencies, through colds). Takes a big weight off my shoulders when there isn’t anything else I can do.
    Being just a steward is one of my favorite things about serving God. He’s a good Master, and if I can’t do more, I know he’s not going to give me a hard time about it.

-Now, to remember they are the Lord’s toys being treated like confetti by the Lord’s children.